Armstrong OnlyMusic
Submitted: August 20th, 2011
by bjkay75_1
Initially, I was afraid of putting lower ouput pickups in my guitar. I have favored hotter pickups in the past, but wasn't finding the tone I was looking for. I took a gamble on purchasing both the bridge and neck pickups, and I also ordered a custom hand-built wiring harness from OnlyMusic, which was comprised of vintage-style cloth wire, CTS 500K pots, and 0.5 capacitor that he hand-built, an SG-style pickup selector switch, and a Switchcraft jack.The sound of the guitar now has a greater depth and complexity to it. There is a lot more nuance to the tone, and the upgraded wiring gives a smooth taper in the volume and tone. For the sound I'm now getting, I would have expected to pay far more than I did.As far as output, they have plenty enough, as I use various boosters, overdrives, and distortion pedals to get the aggressive sounds that I often seek anyway.
Pickups look and feel solid. Plenty of wire for mounting. You even get to specify if you want the vintage cloth wire or modern style wire.
General Comments
I look forward to getting many different tones out of my guitar now with more complexity and nuance. The other pickups were 1-trick ponies. The lessons I learned: 1) you don't need high output pickups to get heavy sounds, and 2) you can find high-quality pickups that won't break the bank.