Arion HU-8500 Stage Tuner
Submitted: August 7th, 2003
by happydog1
I've had this thing for 12 years, and I got it used from my wife, who got it used from a friend of hers, so it's probably about 15 years old. That's an estimate. It still works extremely well for a 15-year-old pedal made of plastic in some mysterious foreign land! It doesn't drain anything from the sound and gives me true pitch. Incidentally, the pitch button moves the pitch flat or sharp from concert pitch, just in case you're one of those people who needs to play in E-flat to accommodate the fact that your singer has a four and a half note range, like Scott Stapp.
After 15 years, plus or minus, of regular use, it has developed a glitch. Occasionally the red light flashes at me and it refuses to work. When it does this, I unplug it from the power supply, wait a second, and then plug it back in. It comes back just fine. The only time I had trouble was when I took this out of the effects chain and tried to replace it with another tuner. The other tuner crapped out within a month, while I was onstage. Fortunately the bass player in our band has a great sense of pitch, unlike Brian Marshall, and I was able to tune to her E. After that I abandoned the other tuner pedal at the gig, and went back to my old Arion.
General Comments
This is a great pedal. I've been using it for literally years, and only recently has it become a little wonky. I intend to get a new one very soon, but keep the old one on the back burner. The Arion is easy to see onstage and it's accurate. This is probably one of the most reliable and useful pedals that I own. Overall, the Arion is great. Even if your band has a loud, talentless drummer like Scott Phillips, you can still see when you're in pitch by the bright green light display. Overall, I highly recommend this pedal.