Arbor Les Paul Copy
Submitted: October 20th, 2005
by KimJongSick
I'm using a Danelectro Honeytone miniamp and a Johnson Reptone 15w solid-state amp. She can sound as bright and twangy as a Strat, but as dark and sweet as the Les Paul she was made to be. With the Johnson amp, she gave me a very honey-like sound if I wanted it, thick and sweet, but I could also make her scream for mercy like Jimmy Page's #1. I couldn't ask for a better sound from even a Gibson. In fact, this guitar, which I've christened Gertrude, has a sweeter voice than almost every Gibson I've played (save the 1975 Les Paul I played in the store one time).
I've played Gertrude live without any problems whatsoever. The hardware still feels great after a year, I can't complain. I've had some pretty scary bumps happen to her, but she's held up very well throughout them, without chipping any paint. I changed the strap buttons to Jim Dunlop Straploks, so I'll never worry about them as long as I live. I am definitely willing to use this guitar without a backup, assuming I've got new strings on her!
General Comments
All I'd add to this guitar is a Parson's B-string Bender so I can bend notes at the headstock without the tuning going to hell. If she were stolen, I'd buy another without a moment's hesitation, but I'd probably go armed to get my Gertrude back! I've only been playing 2 years, almost exclusively self-taught, but I've got a natural talent. Even the best guitarists I know say that I'm the best they've ever heard. My teacher, a great guy named Roman, even tells customers about me when they ask about people to jam with.