Applause UAE148 Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele
Submitted: August 17th, 2008
by Cicero
Two years later... I'm down grading to a 5 or 6 amplified. 7 if you play alone in a small room. I have had to turn my amp down to 2, set bass to 1, treble 4 and up the mids to 8 to get a nice clean tone worthy of using in a group. Higher volumes needed for large spaces with a group revealed a washed out harshness I can not stand anymore. (I hear it...others say it's not that bad...but I am not satisfied and it bugs me.) Mic your amp if you can. I use the on board preamp, the bass slider at 0%, half way on mid and a bit more on the treble. Cleans up an annoying background thunk thunk coming off the piezzo from the Low G and the C in certain situations AND I've had to use a much firmer finger picking attack style to produce good tones...its more work then fun anymore to play this uke. The dynamics of the bottom strap button made me relocate it so the round back doesn't "roll it up" while playing...that helps. I guess I'll never review an instrument again until I've played it a year or so. (The RISA, now that I've learned "electric guitar" techniques, does not do "uke" sounds but is comfortable to play and has a much better sonic fit in an acoustic and resonator playing blues group. Hard to explain.)
Just have a spare 9V battery on hand...very road worthy.
General Comments
Price is OK but difficult to dial in. The fact it doesn't do well at high volume has tarnished it for me. Low volumes its just OK.... I will sell it when I find a better acoustic electric uke. Will gladly spend big bucks to do so.