Applause UAE148 Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele
Submitted: April 2nd, 2004
by Anonymous Reviewer
I play a lot of styles because I was a classical guitar major in college, play jazz, rock, blues. I play in some Hawaiian groups around Santa Cruz, CA. and teach music to 500 4th and 5th grade students - ukulele is one of the things they learn. This instrument has a very good sound with most amps. I usually go into a sound system or use a small peavy studio plus amp with a volume pedal. At practices I keep the volume off until I solo. sometimes I use a little volume to do some chickin' pickin' rhythm sounds behind the rest of the players. I works great for that. It is more like a jazz nylon guitar sound when played though a guitar amp - very bluesy and fun for jazz. I heard one played through a twin reverb with distortion and didn't like it. A little edge can be nice for soloing.
This ukulele will withstand anything - I love that about it. I dropped it on my way to class and it just bounced. I use a small banjo soft case so that when I go to Hawaii it will fit water, ipod, magazines and snacks - makes a great carry on. So far no hassle that the neck is too long. The strap buttons work very good. I took a piece of leather and made a strap about an inch thick at the shoulder and tapered down. It is also contoured to have a little curve in it and it works great. This works great for live playing and traveling. Took it to the Azores islands of the coast of Portugal and played Cape Verde music with several African Portuguese. It was great fun - I sometimes forget that I am a guitar player. This is my main gig ukulele unless I want a more woody / traditional sound, but it has a nice accoustical sound also.
General Comments
I've been playing guitar for 46 years. I've been playing ukulele for about 5 years. Yes I would buy another one. It's a great workhorse - very dependable and versitile. I love it's durability and sound. It's fun. I wish it was lighter. I wanted something to travel with that sounded good that I didin't have to be dainty with. I wish it had a more rounded neck instead of so pointed. Is hard to put your thumb in the middle of the neck to play certain types of jazz or classical. It's like the old Fender Telecasters with the pointy neck.