Applause UAE148 Acoustic-Electric Tenor Ukulele
Submitted: July 4th, 2002
by PohnpeiScott-VEUMF
I play guitar and bass, and this is my first ukulele. I love the sound! I mostly play it unplugged; I do not have an acoustic amp. I have a Behringer GX212 which I use with a Vamp2 for my guitar, but the amp (and the Vamp) have some decent clean settings which sound not too bad with the uke. Its an ukulele, so it can't make non-ukulele sounds. But I did not purchase it to sound like anything other than it is. For an ukulele it produces plenty of sound. I think the bowl back really helps it with projection and dispertion. It can play along with an acoustic guitar without getting completely lost. Nothing I do not like about it yet.
I think the uke will do fine with live playing. The input jack seems to be strong and well attached to the uke. The pre-amp is my only real worry at this point. I haven't had the ukulele long enough at this point to give this an honest rating, so I'll leave it alone.
General Comments
Just started playing ukulele. Playing guitar for a few years, bass for a couple more than that. Experienced ukulele players should take that into account and read this with a grain of coral sand. If you can, go to the store and play it and compare it to others (not an option for me - no real music stores out here). Check the harmony-central reviews of the mandolin - I believe the ukulele shares the same body and electronics with the Applause mandolin. With my limited experience in ukuleles I give this a 9 because I am truly pleased with it at this point.