Applause MAE148 Roundback Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
Submitted: September 22nd, 2001
by Anonymous-4LBSC
Sounds great plugged in and unplugged. Very crisp, clear. The plastic back, which usually tends to give ovation guitars a tinny sound, complements the mandolin tones nicely.
I don't mean to rant about the bridge, but aside from that, this instrument seems very reliable. The plastic back is nigh indestructible, and the top seems pretty well lacquered. Seems quite dependable, especially if new. I would definetly keep another mandolin around, 'cause you really can't do much with it if the bridge rips itself off.
General Comments
I don't actually own one of these, I've just played on a ton of them in music stores across the country. They sound terrific and have the best electronics I've seen on a mandolin, but with both above mention problems with the bridge, I would recommend keeping a backup nearby. I've got a rogue mandolin that just isn't cutting it, and am looking for an upgrade. If in future models the bridge is set like a normal mandolin, I would wholeheartedly recommend this instrument. If there are any players out there who have owned an applause for a number of years and have not encountered bridge problems, please email me.