Applause MAE148 Roundback Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
Submitted: April 3rd, 2004
by Ron Pirtle
Sounds pretty good for what it is.
This thing is built like a tank. With the exception of tuning this has been trouble free. I have owed it for quite a while and put it in harm's way. Problems with tuning pull a "10" down to a "5". Gig bag is one of the best I have seen.
General Comments
I lean toward Jethro Burns style (Jazz/Swing) and have been playing mandolin off and on since '48 or so. (and got paid for it) I have put it through a varity of amps and it does pretty well. It sounds better than the Fender solid body I bought in '58. (Sold that for 5 times times what I paid for it, bought a new 5 sting Fender (made in Korea) that sounds much better than the old 4 sting. I currently own three mandolins, all electric. I grew up playing dances with no amps and have little time for the no electrics crowd. If this were stolen I would call the insurnace company and rejoice. I paid too much (my own fault, they were new and I had to have one) and the tuning machine problems and non existant factory support have left me with a bad taste in my mouth.