Applause MAE148 Roundback Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
Submitted: April 16th, 1999
by Anonymous Reviewer
The acoustic sound of the mandolin is well balanced and has an even projection for both picking and chop. It is NOT a loud instrument. This is the main problem I have with the sound; lack of volume. I have a old Martin "B" style that has twice the volume. The pickup sound is great. I was worried that the "chop" sound of mandolin rhythm would not come out correctly, however the pickup does seem to do a good job with it. Also lead sound is clear and clean. I use a Marshall AS80R for the amp and it is as loud and crisp as you would want with little EQ on either the amp or the preamp. I use the mandolin for church and duets. We play a modern music style (not the old blusgrass style, however I do play bluegrass as well), and this mandolin is ideal for this situation.
Except for the tuning machines and the way the battery holder is mounted the mandolin is very well built. I have used it a LOT. I have played it 2-3 hours a week for the last year and a half.
General Comments
If you are looking for a practice mandolin, beginners special, or something with a good acoustic sound with a pickup, I would NOT recommend this instrument. However, if most of your playing is plugged in and you do jazz, modern or various music styles, I would highly recommed this mandolin. Also play a Martin DC-1E and a old cheap strat copy. I have been playing the mandolin for 20 years. If you are in this type of situation I am sure you would like this mandolin, however I could see a lot of people buying this instrument on looks alone and not being happy.