Applause MAE148 Roundback Acoustic/Electric Mandolin
Submitted: April 2nd, 2002
by Anonymous Reviewer
I'm a guitar player mainly, all styles, have played mandolin off & on and wanted one to do some home recording. Played unplugged for months, fell in love with the sound, then plugged it in, and fell in love with the sound all over again. It is not your average mandolin, and that one of the things I like about it. Can really dial in sounds with on-board EQ & pre-amp (sounds great using effects, too). Very pleased - has inspired me.
I think this mandolin would withstand gigging, and seems genuinely dependable and solid.
General Comments
Have been playing for 37 years, own an Epiphone Howard Roberts archtop, Kramer Bass, Framus acoustic, Johnson Strat-copy, Fender Frontman Amp, 7 Danelectro effects. I just love this mandolin! It has it's own feel & character. Tried several other brands in the under $300 range - BORING. For me, it's comfortable, sound good acoustically or plugged in. Would replace if I had to, but hope I won't. Maybe not the feel that hardcore blugrass players want, but honestly, I think that anyone who can think outside the box would love it.