Applause Applause AN13 Minibowl 3/4 Classical Guitar
Submitted: July 9th, 2003
by Anonymous Reviewer
It's unfair to compare it to a full-size acoustic. For a 3/4, it has a decent amount of volume. Not a complex tone by any means, but not an unappealing one, either. I was originally looking for a Martin Backpacker, but I couldn't live with its sound. I'm giving it a 6 because its sound beats its travel-size competition significantly.
I neede a guitar to take camping for a week, and was not about to bring my main acoustic. The plastic bowl back is seemingly impervous to the elements, and I have no concern that a week in the trunk of my car, near the sea, will in any way damage it. As for gigs, I doubt it will see many of those. Spend the extra $20 for the acoustic/electric model if you think you'll ever play out with one of these!
General Comments
I've had a great time with this guitar, and show it off to all my guitar snob friends. For what it is, it's terrific. I leave it on a guitar stand in the living room, and my 2-year-old strums it every time she walks by. My older child will start on lessons with it in a year or so, and I can't wait to take it camping. Easy action, a fun compact size, attractive red finish, and a better tone than an actual travel guitar, by a mile. One objection is the round back - I've never played an Ovation-style guitar for any length of time before, and I find them kind of uncomfortable. I use a strap even when seated.