Alvarez AD60CK Artist Series Dao Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Cutaway
Submitted: August 16th, 2005
by Joel Eisenbraun
I am a youth minister and play both plugged in and acoustic. I bought this guitar to replace another Alvarez AD60SC that was stolen. I was very pleased with the sound of the AD series. With the both the 500 and 600 series of electronics, you can dial in a sweet, rich tone that sounded better than the Epiphones, Guilds and Ibanezs that our priase team uses. It sounded better and was far less expensive than the other guitars as well. I did play a Takamine in the $500 price range that sounded amazing plugged in. However, the small body made it sound thin if not amplified. Not good for sing-a-longs on the beach. With medium guage strings this guitar will project enough volume to easily fill most rooms. I use my AD60CK plugged into a Genz Benz Shenandoah 100 Acoustic Guitar Amplifier (1x12, 100W) and the sound is very impressive.
After playing my other Alvarez for 5 years and putting it through the youth ministry test (daily use, travel, and even Jr. High kids banging on it), I can say it held up very well. That is why I bought another Alvarez. I have many guitars, but this is the workhorse I use everyday. I use my Alvarez RD20CU from the lower Regent series when I don't want to damage my AD series. But it doesn't have near the sound or durability of the Artist series. If you need a working man's guitar, this is it.
General Comments
I've been playing for 21 years and have owned over 20 guitars. Each guitar was made for a specific purpose and sometimes a specific type of music. If you want to sound like Stevie Ray, buy a Strat. If you do some chickn' pickn' like Lynard Skynard, fork out the cash for a Gibson. But don't expect one brand or guitar to do every job. The Alvarez AD60CK is an excellent guitar and has the most bang for the buck on the market.