Alvarez AD60CK Artist Series Dao Dreadnought Acoustic-Electric Cutaway
Submitted: July 14th, 2003
by Anonymous Reviewer
I play mainly soft rock (Eagles) and country with some gospel. The guitar suits those music styles very well. It has a very full sound that can be muddy at times. It produces a very distinct sound, but that is not always a good thing. The resonance is an issue for me, especially on the low E string, sometimes it is as if that string is not even on the guitar. I was really new to the specifics of guitars and how a different wood affects the overall resonance when I purchased this guitar. Now that I know better, I would have much preferred a Spruce top with a Rosewood back and sides.
This guitar will definatly withstand live play and the hardware is very durable (Most Alvarez guitars are). The finish does not seem thin and I would not suspect that it would wear off easily. I have not played this guitar with a strap, but the buttons seem solid. I can depend on this guitar, but as for using it on a gig without a backup, I cannot comment because I am not a professional.
General Comments
I have been playing for 6 years now (in 2003) and I have owned a Steve Warner Takamine, a Lonestar POS, a classical guitar of unknown make, and an Epiphone electric and I can honestly say that this guitar outperforms all of those combined. The bass resonance could be better with a spruce top, I wish I'd known that when I bought this guitar, but I wouldn't trade it now. With the right set of strings, as long as the brilliance lasts, this guitar sounds great. If this guitar were stolen or lost, I would probably buy the Alvarez PD100S or a Garrison G-50 but that's just for the bass resonance in those guitars. I love the look of this guitar, but I am dissapointed that if you don't change the strings every 6 months it sounds really muddy. You can probably guess that I wish it had a spruce top, but I plan on adding the above mentioned guitars to my collection anyway. It's not totally awesome, but it's not really that bad.