Allen & Heath ZED10FX
Submitted: September 30th, 2010
by toreba
The sound of the preamps is simply outstanding for anything in this price range. There is plenty of definition across the whole freqency spectrum, together with a pleasing musical warmth. The preamps showed very smooth response to input signals, without easily clipping where many other mixers in this class would (due to impedance issues). The EQ section, comprising Hi, Sweeping Mid and Lo bands is a dream to use (for this configuation).  I for one would rate the EQ's better than other smaller mixers I've used such as the Onyx range by Mackie, or any Soundcraft or Studio Master boards I've used. The onboard FX while useful, have limited user control on the effects parameters - but this is the be expected on any board of this size. What is very pleasing with the FX available, is the lack of noise. The onboard FX are fine for my live work, but don't quite match the performance of some of my VST effects for recording work.
No opinion as yet. The over all construction leads me to think that reliability is not likely to be an issue any time soon.
General Comments
If you're looking for value for money...this is a no-brainer. Just buy it!  Beyond the budget price though is a very useful that sounds like a high-end board. I expect that this should be a strong seller appealling to thousands like me.