Alesis SR18 Drum Machine
Submitted: July 4th, 2008
by Jim B.
The sounds are similar to the SR-16. Perhaps a little more realistic. The ability to add reverb, compression, etc., as well as change sounds and drum kits is a big plus! I always had to add effects to the drums while recording, but now I can send the drums directly into the board. I think the critical reviews below, are from folks who are expecting what only a "live" drummer can produce. C'mon! This is a drum machine. It sounds awesome for what it is. I use this in a "live" setting and it sounds like I DO indeed have a drummer behind me.
Have only owned it for a few weeks, but if it's like my SR-16...it'll last.
General Comments
Alesis' reputation is well known. The fact that the SR-16 has been the industry standard for so many years says a lot. This new SR-18 is fun to use, easy to understand, and sounds great "live" or on a recording. More presets and more useable styles make this a "must have" for any musician desiring to create their own songs, dial up drums to play cover tunes, or just use as a backing track to jam with. The addition of bass guitar is a blast to jam with. I've been performing and recording for over 30 years and have listened to a variety of other drum machines. They all pale in comparison to the SR-16 and SR-18. If you own the SR-16, you owe it to yourself to check out this new drum machine. You'll be smiling after just a few minutes of playing with this unit.