Alesis SR18 Drum Machine
Submitted: August 31st, 2008
by EH
The preset acoustic kits and patterms are cleaner, more modern & realistic than those on the old SR16. They sit better in the mix too. The new dance, hiphop & electronica sounds & patterns are very useful & save me carting a laptop/sampler for these sounds. The rubber pads don't seem to respond, look, or feel quite as good for programming as the old SR16 ones... Cheaper?
Only have it a few months. Should be fine. I'd bring a backup on VIP nights. I've gone through a few SR16's in the past and know that SR's hate beer!
General Comments
I've been doing solo gigs several nights every week for 18 years using acoustic guitar + vocals + drum machine, covering folk, rock, country, sing-along, dance, house, trance... anything. Considering inflation etc, the SR18 is a fraction of the cost of the original SR16 at it's release - so I have to give it 10 overall because there is no better all-in-one alternative at any price for me - and this thing is dirt cheap. Will somebody please write a software version of the SR18 and incorporate the features mentioned above?!!