Alesis SR-16 Stereo Drum Machine
Submitted: September 20th, 2004
by Toby Dorsett-pXekA
You can get some really great sounds out of this machine. I've found the tuning mode to be quite useful in getting the sounds I want. To get killer tom sounds I take the low floor tom sounds and tune them up higher for my mid and high toms. I do this with almost all the sounds. It works really well. If you take your time programing / using the step mode, tuning mode, quantize, swing and offset modes and layering, you can't tell this machine from a pro drummer. The perfect rock drum machine. Listen to the built in demo. Alesis did a great job of showing what the SR16 is capable of doing.
It's built like a tank. I bought mine in 1996 and have used it constantly for the last 8 years without one single problem. It's been dropped to many times to count. Had beer spilled in it. Cigarette ashes dumped all over it, and it still works perfect.
General Comments
Hands down, this is the easiest machine on the market to program. I've tried them all. I would buy another SR16 in a second if it were ever stolen of broke. Now days they only cost $149 new. $100 used. Great value!