Alesis SR-16 Stereo Drum Machine
Submitted: December 8th, 2004
by AlK-DSra9
My biggest complaint is the lack of realistic cymbal and crash sounds. From what I heard on other machines this one is not behind, actually compared to Boss DR-5 the drum sounds on this one seem better. What I would've liked to get is more non effected drum kits. There are lots of reverb on some of the drum sounds which make them dated and even useless in some application. There are enough sounds co construct a decent kit with so that should not be a problem. This unit has great aftertouch and key sensitivity.
Very dependable. I had it crash on me only once when I was really pushing it hard with a 11/7 or some other weird rhytm. This unit has been rock hard and has never let me down live or in studio situation.
General Comments
I am so used to this machine that I can operate it in my sleep. If it were gone I'd definitely miss it but will probably break down and get one of the newer units that can do tempo changes within a song - now when my sound got more proggy I definitely miss that feature. New PC software for drum replacement and drum modules have popped up that can do more realistic sounds and use sampled kits so I am not sure if I will get this machine but I might use it to program the beats through MIDI since it is very easy and intuitive to operate.