Alesis MultiMix 6FX Mixer
Submitted: May 17th, 2006
by gnappi
You have to watch where you put it, and NOT touch it while you're recording (LOTS of coupled lamp noise and odd stuff picked up) but it's generally VERY quiet. I have done some 4 track recordings late at night and used Audacity to tune the low volume input with great success. Audacity exports to a .WAV file and you can burn CD's with that output. I considered one of the Boss, or Roland hard disk workstations, and they may be OK, but if you already have a computer (who doesn't have one avaialble nowadays) you get a LOT of flexibility for 1/10 th the buckaziods.
I've owned it about a year. It stays in my hot Florida garage, and powers up every time.
General Comments
I've used big boards, but if you want to record directly to a PC or laptop, and diddle with the mix a lot, with Audacity you can't go wrong for the sub $200 bill!!! I understand Alesis now has a firewire version. I think that my setup with USB has plenty of room. Perhaps they did some recording and ran out of bandwidth, dunno, but if it gets better than this, I'll be REAL surprised. It's not often you can buy something and be more satisfied than you thought you would be, but this mixer did just that. Great job Alesis!