Alesis MultiMix 6FX Mixer
Submitted: February 20th, 2006
by James Arrr
Okay, I've owned a presonus firepod, a motu 896 and a tascam us-122 and this sound as good, if not better, than those - honestly. It's a great sounding mixer. The mic pre's are clean and the onboard effects are usable. When I was shopping around for a recording interface it was between this and the mackie onyx, but the onyx is not only 'very expensive' the firewire outs to the computer are pre fader, so you can't get any of the eq settings to record. With the multimix you can! and this is why I got this. Now, I have to be honest, I was very hesitant about buying one, because I had read online that people were having terrible problems with the drivers, but I have not had any problems (knock on wood) - I had many more problems with the thousand dollar MOTU than with this.
Seems very reliable. It's a solid feeling unit, although the fader knobs are plastic, but the mixer itself has some heft to it.
General Comments
Overall, I am very pleased and somewhat surprised by the multimix. It's a very versatile mixer and recording interface all in one. Is technology great these days or what? It's a great idea and I love the fact that you can eq each channel going in. There are 8 mic pre's and another 8 line in's - you have aux sends - on board effects with 100 presets - headphone out - digital out - cool lights - mute - solo buttons - what more could you ask for? and for 499? gettoutahere.....