Alesis MasterLink ML-9600 Master Disk Recorder
Submitted: October 13th, 2006
by Eric-cWSB1
I started with the unit hooked up via the balanced inputs and had no issue. A few months later the unit started recording noise żżż it was bad. The problem must have been a ground loop issue that I unwitting created. I switched all inputs and outputs over to optical and havenżżżt had any further problems. Iżżżve compared the recordings to my old ADAT and the ML sounds the same to me. The CDżżżs Iżżżve created sound identical to the source or at least no one that heard the recordings ever noticed anything abnormal about them.
Except for the firmware issue the unit has worked flawlessly. I have an AC line regulator (big transformer box) feeding this units AC supply so that may go far in explaining why I stand out of the majority on the reliability point. I also went overboard and put a Monster Power filtering surge suppresser following the regulator. Both protection devices set me back about $300.00 but itżżżs worth it in my opinion.
General Comments
I really like the Master link. It has a rich feature set for a unit of its size and price. I wish it had a better (bigger) remote control (with jog and editing/DSP buttons). A removable hard drive would be nice as would computer control. As is though itżżżs worth the cash (at least my unit has been). Iżżżd say give it a shot and return it if you have issues.