Alesis MasterLink ML-9600 Master Disk Recorder
Submitted: October 27th, 2004
by Doug-Anztc
The sound quality was not as good as I had expected. When you A/B a mix listening through it, you will be dissapointed. You will get 85% of the true fidelity of your mix. This is because of the A/D converters in it. It sounded like someone put a sheet in front of my speakers. I bought an m-audio flying cow A/D converter to feed it and now I get 99% of the true fidelity of my mix at 16bit/44k. Now!!! I'm happy with the sound. The rating in this category I am giving it is "without" my front end converter for it.
It seems well made and dependable, but it's new.
General Comments
This unit does a lot. It is a one unit mastering machine. You can store 52 hours of mixes and burn CD's from 16 to 24 bit. You can edit, master, EQ, clip, etc. Now since I'm using a different front end converter, I am very happy with the unit. Now instead of the flat, colorless, dull, muffled, almost mono sounding mixes I would have been recording, I now get vibrant airy accurate sounding mixes, thanx to the flying cow. I would imagine that it may sound even better with an apogee, or lucid front end, but the cow will suit your needs and it's blowing out at $249.00