Alesis DM5 18-bit Drum Module
Submitted: March 24th, 2009
by Daniel Goodson
Triggers fall apart and fail. I cannot keep up with the parts I have to replace. It is going in the trash. Really. I wouldn't wish this incredible piece of junk on my WORST enemy.
You cannot depend on this worthless pile of crap. This is the worst designed drum set in the world, and I was stupid enough to buy it. My bad.
General Comments
Bought this 5 months ago. Drum sounds are superior for this price range, however that is damped by poorly designed hardware. Example: Look at the component that holds the trigger. There is only one boss to ensure the pad stays in place when tightened. These strip off quickly, and soon the pads hang limp. Have had to modify entire kit with large washers and larger threaded fasteners to ensure pads do not flop during use. The kit was put together by the pros at the store. If I had done it, perhaps I would have realized the issues that would emerge. DM 5 module can be glitchy and unreliable. During a gig one output insert broke off during upload: They are plastic and very fragile. The rack is also poorly made. The arms will work their way out of the sockets with the most gentle of use. Support has been in the forms of email and and begging the store where purchased. Indications from the company that they will replace parts that break. The process has been so painful, between bugging the store and emailing many different people at Alesis that I have now given up, and will buy another kit, armed with my knowledge of what to look for in a substandard kit. Unfortunately those words do nothing to help in the middle of a gig or session. The problem is there is nothing they can do for this unit, save a complete pad and rack redesign and/or replacement which of course they are unwilling to do.