Alba Precision copy
Submitted: June 13th, 2007
by Jnet
It suits most stuff I throw at it... no wonder the Precision is such a popular bas in so many styles. It came with pretty serious strings, thicker than on my Jazz bass... It sounds very meaty, and growly... I wanted a cheapish uncomplicated bass as backup and this one fits the bill more than adequately, to the point that I may sometimes play it in first place. Great for funk/rock. Nice to slap (although I'm not so good at it yet!).
After inserting a foam support under the pickups, for sure. before... it's an accident waiting to happen. I'd give it full marks now, but in its original form, just a 4.
General Comments
I've been playing guitar for over 15 years, and bass on and off, but a bit more seriously for the past 2. The P-bass is a very simple but veyr effective bass, very versatile especially considering it's got just one pickup... This P-bass is easily comparable to mexican Fenders, in my opinion. I just can't believe they'd overlook something as important and easy to do as putting a foam support under the pickups! Maybe it's just my bass that had this issue... it only took me 5 minutes to open it, see it, and fix it... but it shouldn't be this way in teh first place. So... great bass, but open it and fix this if it also lacks teh pickup supports. Once you've done that, it's a great bass. Overall I'l give it a rating of 9, because the problem is so easily spotted and fixed... but it should not be manufactured like this... imagine arriving to your gig and finding one pickup has dropped into the cavity! It wouldn't cause me much trouble as I always carry screwdrivers and various tools... but you don't want to be messing with your bass in these situations... you want to PLAY.