AKG WMS 40 PRO/Guitarbug UHF Wireless System
Submitted: July 6th, 2008
by Marc Cot¿¿
HUGE LETDOWN. There is, as other reviewers have pointed out, a bit of a hissing sound, but that is the least of my worries. The compander effect is so pronounced, brightening my guitar sound to a glassy tone, that it basically renders the unit useless. When compared to the sound straight from the guitar, anything upward of 300Hz has to be brought down. And I'm not talking about a couple of db here - from 10 - 14 db to more or less match the wired sound. I've used it at several gigs anyway, trying to adjust it with the board EQ, but have now stopped using it altogether.
The bug does not seem well-made and despite claims by the company that it is springloaded to keep it from moving around it does in fact bounce all over the place. Were I to continue using it I believe it would soon break. The receiver is also not the toughest-looking piece of gear I've ever owned but if kept in a rackmount unit would probably be OK.
General Comments
Perhaps if this were used for voice the compander effect would be less noticeable, maybe even useful, but for guitar it is simply not acceptable. To add insult to injury the range is quite limited and is somewhat prone to interference.