AKG WMS 40 PRO/Guitarbug UHF Wireless System
Submitted: July 16th, 2005
by Jay Amel
I play a 5-string bass (Music Man) and this system covers the whole range, including the lowest note, without cutting the signal. I'm talking here about the frequency range, since you will read a few lines later that it actually cuts the signal. I can hear no difference between the direct signal with a cord, and the signal with the UHF. Good point here.
The compliments stop there. After only 4 months of use (a dozen rehearsals and 5 gigs), the bug began doing bad contacts, so the signal was cut on stage. My dealer told me several customers had the same problem with the same model recently. He swapped the GB40 bug for a PT40 more traditional sender (sender on belt, linked to the bass by a cord). The GB40 sender is very disappointing on the reliability department.
General Comments
This system made of cheap plastic is pretty disappointing. I've been playing bass for 30 years, and guitar for almost 35 years. I'm going to check now how it works with the PT40 sender and will take a decision after my series of summer gigs. No, I would not get another one if this one was stolen or lost.