Akai Professional XR20 Beat Production Station
Submitted: October 8th, 2008
by Anonymous-OahVw
Forget the Synth sounds and buy it for the drums! Killer drums and one shot sounds. the 808 stuff is really, really good too. That 808 cowbell sounds like the real thing! Akai markets this as having over 700 sounds onboard- I haven't gotten deep enough into the box yet to know. This machine is designed for "Urban Music"- I guess that means hip-hop. The programming style really lends itself to breaks- which I was making within minutes of opening the box. I also do a lot of Deep House stuff- the sounds work on that level too. But as stated, it's not set up for visual programming (4x4 stuff)- it's really more set up for breaks and beats. Probably would be nice for D&B- if I knew how to program it One note: The pads are supposed to be velocity sensitive. That may be, but it's a subtle change. Maybe that's more the style of real drummers? I have to really hit that pad to make it louder. I hope they hold up under that abuse.
General Comments
Love this machine, I wish it were a bit more suited for live sound because it sounds so good. I think I would buy it again- but on the other hand, I may just upgrade and get a nice MPC. I'm hooked now!