Akai Professional MPD16 USB MIDI Pad Control Unit
Submitted: November 2nd, 2005
by Tesseract-qQIlQ
I give it a 7 because the sensitivity isn't quite what some might expect it to be; it takes practice to get to used to hitting the pads at the right velocity. However, the unit does have a full-volume mode which I find myself frequently using.
First, let me say that it's built solid and is heavier than it looks. However, I have run into a problem which I've found others on the Internet also have experienced: When the unit is connected to the USB port of my computer, every now and then Windows crashes and I get the blue screen of death. I'm not sure the extent that this is the fault of the controller, but it still can be a major nuisance and I usually unplug the unit from the USB port when I'm not using it.
General Comments
Yes I would buy it again, although supposedly other companies are quickly trying to gain control of the drum pad controller market so who can really say what the future holds for the MPD. But akai pads are classic, and if you don't have an MPC in your studio, you should at least have the MPD.