Akai Professional MPC5000 Music Production Center
Submitted: September 13th, 2009
by jocke
It's a sampler, so you should really to load it with your own sounds. but you get a decent set of sounds to download with OS v2.0 the VA synth is very good. the sound import of older Akai sampler library isn't fully functional yet.
I have no problem working with the machine. but it has a few bugs as of OS v2.0: parameters are sometimes sluggish in response. the synth has parameters with weird response to changes and filter model1 crackles at cutoff values under 50. I replaced the noisy hard disk with a faster, larger and silent Seagate IDE drive.
General Comments
I see no reason to replace me MPC5k with something else. I had the Roland MV8800 in mind for a while, but some function turned me off. a music shop had by mistake reserved the same second hand MPC5k to two customers, so they let me buy a new one Very cheap!! :-) I started composing with old step sequencers like sh-101 and MIDI sequencers in the early eighties. the last ten years was lost time with buggy PC software sequencers and glitchy plugins and graphical information overload! now I just press REC+PLAY and start recording again.