Akai Professional MPC4000 Plus Production Station with CDRW
Submitted: August 13th, 2005
by timski-xwpPL
Sounds like what you put into it Suits pattern based music, but you can define patterns very broadly so you could even do ambient/drone/nonmusic But seems aimed at beat driven music obviously Not really for sound designers -EMU samplers better for creative mangling, but with Aksys just do it in your computer and export.
Looks and feels very solid. Old Akai samplers are still all over the place, 15 years down the track I feel this will still be there, and theres not many bits of gear I am that confident about. 16 Drum Pads are very very solid, I dont feel afraid to hit them in case I wear out this machine, cant say the same for my EMU PX-7 Im afraid but maybe the comparison is unfair because this is priced about 5 times as much as the PX-7 - you get what you pay for. No issues to date and Ive had it for 6 months.
General Comments
Just great. I used to have a MPC2000XL - great timing and rock solid but I sold it because I couldnt get productive with it. Id spend so much time fiddling around to get my samples and programs right, and then editing the sequences - arghh - The 4000 is more friendly and usable and self contained with the full sampler and USB computer integration, internal hard drive, big GUI screen. I would buy it again, but only at second hand prices, wait a minute I only ever buy gear at second hand prices. Ive waited years for this to come down in price and for the bugs to be sorted out. It definately helps me to make music. I own lots of synths mostly and have a bit of a thing for sound design, this has opened up the world of beats for me again since I sold my MPC2000XL a couple of years back.