Akai Professional MPC4000 Plus Production Station with CDRW
Submitted: June 28th, 2004
by Descry_1
The unit sounds great and at 24/96 you can't find a better MPC for the money. Basically, what you put into it, is what you get out of it. The unit works great for Hip-hop/Electronica, but could be used to create other kinds of music.
I haven't experienced the hardware crashed like a few of the people on here, but I could be fortunate. With 1.60, I haven't had a problem thus far. As far a gig-ing goes, I never use a backup and always use this as my main powerhouse.
General Comments
If this piece got lost or stolen, I'd definitely want to buy it again. The past horror stories with this machine are eliminated with OS 1.60 and is worth the money I paid. I've had this machine for almost a year now and love every minute I spend with it. I own a few pieces of gear: Event TR-6 Monitors, Digi001, Fender American Strat, Mackie CR-1604, Technics 1200 MK2's, Allen and Heath Xone:02, and a Yamaha PSR-400 as a midi controller. I also own various VST and RTA plugins so the FX issue is really not that big of a problem. This unit is commonly compared to the new Roland MV-8000, and in my opinion is a totally different machine from the MV. If I had the time to relearn a brand new machine with the detail of how I know my 4000 now, I'd look into the MV. Not to say that it's a bad machine, I just don't have the time to learn it like I did my 4000. The new OS is the answer to alot of prayers on this and many other sites where the 4000 is reviewed, and almost corrects all of Akai's wrongs with this machine (except for the fact that it's 2 years late, but at least we got the features we wanted like...audition from hd). I wish Akai would work with a company known for their effects and just rewrite brand new code for this area. Granted, some FX are usable but at this price they should ALL be usable. This piece is a great way to lay down your foundation with and is my go-to machine for any idea that I have. Download the new beta OS on the international site, and you'll be suprised at the new functionality of this piece.