Akai Professional MPC4000 Plus Production Station with CDRW
Submitted: May 5th, 2008
by No Name The Great Nameless
What you put in is what you get out. I use the analog eight outs and think it sounds the same as the main outs but some say the main outs are better. It will recieve whatever your MIDI controller throws at it (aftertouch, sustain, modulation, etc) or you can edit the samples to your likeness--i'm not just talking trim and chops. You can run filters, assign modulation, add effects, resample, and more. The 4000 is a full fledged multi-sampler. Of course you can use it as a phrase sampler as well but you can create or purchase your own velocity sensitive multi samples. No other MPC offers this (not even the 5000)
I have gigged with this machine using a blanket as a case. I have dropped a turntable on it. I leave it on constantly unless i'm going out of town. No problems. In six years this thing has froze up on me 3 or 4 times max. The original hard drive died on me (beware the IBM Deskstar). I've had the screen replaced. And now the replacement screen flickers a little. When it goes black, a tap brings it back. The buttons are getting a little wobbly and the paint around the jog wheel and cursor buttons has faded. I consider myself a power user though and like I mentioned, I NEVER turn her off. She is the center of my studio and aside from the devastating hard drive crash, the 4000 has been very reliable.
General Comments
I am buying another one so i can have one in new condition (and i want to get it customized at Forat). I was gonna get the 5000 but I don't want to downgrade.