Akai Professional MPC2000XL-MCD Production Station
Submitted: November 7th, 2005
by Great Dane
You'll only get out of the MPC what you put into it. You'll need to purchase, trade and sample quality sounds to make quality music. You can tweak samples, plus their our techniques to phatten the sounds. It does not come with sounds other than a cd-rom of akai drums you can through staight in the trash. If you need quality drums search the web but you still won't find them in a Korg triton or Dr-550.
The MPC freezed on me one time just when I finished fully laying out a song. Three hours of work down the drain but no other issues. As always save often.... it turns on every time I hit the switch.
General Comments
The MPC 2000 xl is well worth the money once your max out your machine. You'll need to expand the memory, and also need to purchase a SCSI hard drive find it on ebay about $100. I sold the triton and motif (took the sounds and ran) we still have them for show in the studio. But if your serious about your craft you can't use standard patches from any drum machine. I have patches from everthing from the Linn 9000, Tr 808,to the DR-550. The mpc gives you the ability to customize and combine unique patches. Programing drums has never felt right to me on a keyboard and the sequencer on the MPC in my mind is unrivaled.