Akai Professional MPC1000 Sequencer Sampler
Submitted: January 10th, 2006
by Ronson
This is a sampler/sequencer, so discussing the sounds doesn't seem appropriate. Audio outs are quiet and clean. As far as "expressiveness" goes, the pads are a real plus - specially for building drum parts. Also, the famous Akai timing makes for a more organic feel than other sequencers/beatboxes I've owned.
Absolutely dependable in my experience. I haven't gigged with it, but I would have no concerns about doing so without a back-up.
General Comments
Akai's MPC products have full-blow cult status and thousands of professional DJs, producers and performers around the world make a living using them. However, the MPC-1000 simply hasn't worked out for me. If it were lost or stolen I would not buy it again. In fact, I've listed it on eBay to clear space in my studio for something else - either an MC-909 or a software-based solution like Reason. LOVE: The pro construction and audio quality. These things alone probably justify the price of the MPC-1000. HATE: The limitations and unfriendliness of the sequencer. For me, these issues get in the way of making music. And making music is the whole point - right?