Akai Professional MPC1000 Sequencer Sampler
Submitted: August 23rd, 2008
by jones-y
Has that signature Akai sound, dry, unflattering, a little grainy, mid-forward. Really, its funny that based on that description, the Akai's seem like samplers to avoid... But in the real world, it works. Damn well. I don't know what it is, but I could build the same pattern in the 1k and in Guru, and I would prefer the one in the 1k 9 times out of 10. I've concluded that the Akai sample engine is just very well suited to drum and vinyl samples. As for multisamples of acoustic or other instruments, if I was going hardware, I'd most likely choose a rack sampler from EMU or someone else, but the MPCs hold their own very well in the sound category because they work well with drum hits and phrase samples... I also own an Ensoniq ASR-X (best of the 90's 16 bit samplers soundwise) which is very different sounding than the 1k (and the older MPCs) but very very good in its own way. Actually its the perfect complement to the MPC, because its sound is more mid-scooped, with extra emphasis on the lows and highs (and boy does it sound creamy!). And its effects trounce anything Akai has done to date (except maybe the new MPC5k - which I suspect is using Alesis' filter and effects algorithms).
I've never even had so much as a hiccup from any of the MPCs I've owned. Akai is doing something right.
General Comments
Man, I can't imagine life without my 1k. It will leave my grasp when rigormortis sets in... I've owned several other hardware samplers and sequencers: Samplers: EMU EMAX, E64 Yamaha A4000 Akai MPC60, MPC 3000, S900 Ensoniq ASR-X Roland S-550, JS-30 etc. Sequencers: Roland MC-50, Yamaha QY100, EMU MP-7, several workstation integrated sequencers (e.g. Yamaha MOTIF). All in all, the 1k is not the best sampler of those listed above, but it holds its own when it comes to vinyl, drum, and phrase sampling. But it is by far the best sequencer of the ones listed. It inspires, in ways that are hard to describe, and you really need to spend some time with it to understand how it happens. And this is the thing that all those DAW converts who dismiss the MPC as antiquated seem to miss. What they all seem to miss is that features don't make art, artists do. So, using the paintbrush that allows you to make the best painting, as opposed to the 'best' paintbrush, just plain makes sense to me. But to each his own. Anyway, if you're reading this (sorry for being so long-winded - but this machine deserves it...) then I'd guess you're either already an MPC user or considering it (as a side note, its funny that it took for me to buy Guru before I even considered the MPCs) so this is an argument that I don't even need to make to you...