Akai Professional MPC1000 Sequencer Sampler
Submitted: November 4th, 2009
by SaBo-sCLh1
Some guy wrote below that this is the flattest sounding sampler he's ever used. That guy is a complete idiot. This machine has a very heavy, punchy sound. The sound quality is certainly good enough to be used professionally by a large number of artists (Chris Clark uses two of these machine as his only gear for performance; Rob Brown on the Quaristice tour was using one of these).
This machine is extremely stable, but not entirely. If you aren't doing anything too fancy with it, it's rock solid. However, when trying to sync its midi clock I've had it freeze on two occassions (ive had it a few months). I wouldn't doubt for a minute performing with it.
General Comments
Beautiful machine. But you need to buy a bigger CF card, the JJ OS, and a memory upgrade tho, which will set you back another $100. Straight out of the store, this thing is overpriced. I wish i had purchased it off ebay and saved a couple hundred dollars. Money aside - I love this thing from the depth of my soul. I was looking to be able to make IDM away from the computer and this thing answered my wishes. A lot of people use this machine for hip hop - which I've messed around a bit with when I'm feeling bored - but I find this machine's finesse makes it very well suited for experimental, rhythmically complex, electronica. It's my baby, I love it.