Akai Professional Akai RPM3 Production Monitors with USB interface
Submitted: September 9th, 2011
by KSandbergFL
The Sound Quality is about what you should expect from a pair of 3.5 inch "bookshelf" speakers. The speakers seem a little biased towards the low-end and actually sound too "boomy" for my tastes... and oddly for small speakers, I don't hear enough highs from them. But they are very clean, low-noise monitors. For $85 (new) they are probably the best you can get!The USB audio interface apparently (there is no manual or spec sheet to speak of) only does 16-bit, 44.1k sampling, which is just fine with me. Recordings are very clean -- what you record is exactly what you'll hear playing back, no added noise or buzz or "coloration"..
The Reliability/Durability seems good. These speakers are heavy, for their size, and have a nice metal grille. I haven't dropped them on the floor or anything, but they seem like they will last a long time. I am pleased with the construction and design. The cable provided for connecting the speakers together is hair-thin and will surely break within 6 months.. plus it's not long enough. I might end up making my own.
General Comments
Overall, I am pleased with my purchase. I love not having the extra clutter of a USB audio interface or USB mixer... you just set these on either side of your laptop, and you have a full recording rig.