Akai MPC-2000
Submitted: February 8th, 2003
by Enrico May
I'M NOT THE TYPE OF PRODUCER TO TELL YOU YOU CAN'T GET A GOOD DRUM SOUND OUT OF AN MPC-2000 CAUSE YOU CAN IT'S A MATTER OF KNOWING HOW TO USE CERTAIN TRICKS TO GET THE RIGHT FEEL, CAUSE SOME SAY IT SOUNDS FLAT OR DIGITAL, IT'S NOT A KURZWEIL BUT THAT'S NOT WHAT IT SHOULD BE COMPARED TO IT WILL GIVE YOU SO PRETTY TIGHT DRUMS, BUT THAT'S IT INTERNALY,YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE HOW MUCH RESPOSIVENESS YOU WANT I PRETTY MUCH WANT A SOLID HARD HITTING SOUND WITH LITTLE OR NO VELOCITY CHANGES AT ALL BUT YOU CAN CONTROL THIS FOR SOUNDS INTERNALY AND FOR SEQUENCING IT'S FINE IN THAT RESPECT, YOU CAN'T COMPLAIN, ONE PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS THIS AND THIS IS THE NORM WHEN YOU USE MOD WHEELS YOU CAN MAKE THE SEQUENCER LOSE TIME, I PURPOSELY DON'T USE MUCH MOD WHEEL FOR THE WAY IT CAN INVITE BAD TIMING TO MY SOUND WHICH I HATE!
I HAVE HAD NO REAL PROBLEMS WITH THE MPC, AS FAR AS RELIABILITY IS COCERNED I TURN IT ON IT WORKS, I HAVE FOUND THAT IF I DO CERTAIN THINGS I CAN ALMOST COUNT ON IT FAILING BUT I DON'T DO THOSE THINGS ANYMORE CAN'T REALLY REMEMBER WHAT I DID THAT MADE IT CRASH BUT I FOLLOWED THE EXACT FORMULA AGAIN AND IT CRASH AGAIN I DECIDED WELL DON'T DO THAT! I WOULD USE IT ON A GIG NO QUESTION WITHOUT A BACKUP BUT IF YOUR DOING A GOOD PAYING GIG I WOULD HAVE A BACKUP FOR GODS TRACKS THAT PERSONAL THOUGH I WON'T FELL YOU FOR THE MOST PART!
General Comments
IF SOMEONE STOLE MY MPC-2000 I'M SCREWED PRETTY BAD RIGHT NOW IT'S MY SEQUENCER PERIOD I DON'T USE ANYTHING ELSE TO SEQUENCE AND I HAVE HAD IT FOR FIVE YEARS NOW! I HAVEN'T MADE THAT PLUNGE TO COMPUTER BASED SEQUENCING AND I DON'T KNOW IF I WILL ANY TIME SOON I'M GOING TO GET MY HANDS ON AN MPC-4000 GOD WILLING AND THAT WILL BE IT FOR ANOTHER 4 TO 5 YEARS IT DOES WHAT I EXPECT AND WANT, WITH A FEW MINOR WORKABLE PROBLEMS HERE AND THERE BUT NOTHINGS PERFECT, AS FAR AS COMPARING THE MPC'S TO ANYTHING ELSE NO,! I HAVE NEVER THOUGHT TO HAVE ANYTHING DIFFERENT ITS THE STANDARD IN HIP-HOP LIKE MICROSOFT IS TO COMPUTERS YOU BUY OTHER HARDWARE SEQUENCERS TO BE DIFFERENT BUT NOT SMART, THIS IS AS GOOD AS IT GET'S IN HARDWARE YOU MIGHT WANT TO GET A COMPUTER IF YOU CAN STAND THEM!, BUT THIS IS THE HIP-HOP PRODUCTION STANDARD!