Akai MPC-2000
Submitted: May 22nd, 2006
by JZA-ipNha
I'm not going to comment to the sounds as this unit is a drum/groove sampler. The better quality samples you use the better they will sound. OK... Now the more technical aspect of the MPC2000 sound engine... This thing sounds pure analog, warm & punchy! The same drum hit on your PC/MAC will sound thin, weak and dead! The convertors on this machine are SICK! :P It'll give you that classic analogue hiphop/hardware sound that you can not replice no matter what soundcard or plugins you use.
Yes, Solid as a rock :) Yes you can use it without back up...
General Comments
If it was lost or stolen I would look for another cause it's a classic and it super value for money these days. All the great hiphop/dance producers have made hits with this machine and many are still doing it today. I like the whole idea of the mpc2000 but I do think that the OS is slightly out-dated, but nothing to stop you making a banger ;) I have a mpc2000xl, have had a mpc3000 in the past all are top machines but this one i'm attached to. I do wish it had the capabilites to edit samples on board (more sample edit functions). I also wish it had the capability to read folders on zip and use more than one program at a time like the mpc2000xl does. It helps you create a totally different groove and feel compared to using only pc's and keyboards. BOTTOM LINE: IF YOU LOVE HARDWARE & OLD ANALOG SOUND YOU WILL LOVE THIS!