Akai CD3000
Submitted: September 23rd, 1999
by Patrick Fox
Sounds great. Responsive. It recognizes all the standard MIDI info(ie aftertouch, velocity, etc.). Standard effects, timestretch(not real-time, though) are included - nothing special really. I think they first came out in 1993. Check out FatBoy Slim's You've Come A Long Way Baby - the f'ed up vocal samples on "Acid 3000" and "Rockafeller Skank", as well as on FBS's remixes of B. Boys "Body Movin'", Cornershop's "Brimful of Asha", were made with Akai S950's and an S3000, both of which are similar in capability to the CD3000. Also, check out the vocals at the beginning of the Chemical Brothers' song "It Doesn't Matter" on "Dig Your Own Hole". Wow.
Very reliable. I would not heistate to use it live - many bands already do.
General Comments
This is my first sampler - I've tried software samplers, but they do not even come close to the hands-on feel and the responsiveness of a dedicated outboard sampler. Akai samplers are the best, an industry standard. I would pay up to $600 for one, but only if it had the max memory(16Mb) and the "i"(SCSI). I wouldn't buy one if I didn't already have a computer with SCSI. Again, without both the SCSI port(CD3000i) and a computer, this sampler is only good as a slave, limited to playing samples loaded from floppy and sample CD's. If you already have a computer with SCSI and software, then this sampler is AWESOME!