Akai AX-73
Submitted: May 17th, 2005
by Ray Wilson
I still use many of the preset sounds in the unit, but could do the same with a tone generator from the same time frame. Great for those Billy Idol cover bands! Its keyboard expressiveness ranks somewhere in the middle of the old and the new.
It has never given me a problem. I would feel comfortable playing live with this board along with my Korg 03R/W and Yamaha TG55 tone generators, as the sounds would not suffice.
General Comments
Back when I bought this board, I was a budding studio musician looking for some home gear. Atari was still a top of the line computer, and the cornerstone of most studios. It is used maybe 10% of the time in my current studio. It is still used for some Midi data entry and some filler sounds. Although it has been good for me, it is clearly outclassed by anything available today in the $1000 CAD or more category. I would recommend any Korg product over this now. I have an M1 (also over 10 years old) that has become the controller of the Midi portion of my studio, but they work well in tandem. If you can still pick one up for < $180 CAD, do so. It adds a similar element to a studio as a leslie or steel guitar would; that unexpected sample to add flavour to your music.