Akai AX-73
Submitted: April 11th, 1998
by Tony Sharfman
For an analog synth the range of sound is surprisingly huge. You get good analog pads very fat basses and exellent leads. But you also get metallic dx-7 like sounds, good brass sounds, good organ sounds and some of the strangest soundfx you ever heard. This synth could work for many tipes of music but it would be best suited for rock, dance and possibly techno. It can also be a good synth for ambient music. The onboard chorus is decent. The keyboard reacts well to velocity but not very well to my playing because the keys are stiff.
I've only had it for 2 months, and haven't had any problems so far. It seems extremely reliable being built like a tank and made 95% from metal.
General Comments
Its worth well over what I paid, since its almoust like a modular synth in a box. I love the sheer veriety of settings you can edit, this makes the synth very versetile and powerful. The only thing that bothers me is the lack of knobs and that it is 1 vco per voice and in dual mode polyphony is only 3. Some of its sounds actualy sound just like my dx7, which demonstrates the potential of this synth. If this synth was 2 vco per voice and had lots of knobs and sliders it would have been one of the best synths around. It uses chips similar to the Oberheims, sequential and memorymoog synths so you know it has great sound, and its oscilators do drift so it doesn't sound static like the dco synths. In my opinion it is an underrated undiscovered synth. I would buy it again, and I don't regret getting it instead of a juno 60 or korg polysix.