Akai AX-60
Submitted: March 22nd, 2005
by ApolloBoy
This is an analog synth, so this isn't a synth for realistic sounds. Most AX-60 owners say the synth is very gritty, and I agree, but it can do silky-smooth strings and pads as good as a Juno-106. The keyboard doesn't have aftertouch, and the keys aren't velocity-sensitive.
Although the synth uses VCOs, they're actually very stable. I've never had to use the auto-tune button yet. The synth also has a metal case, so I can definetly depend on this synth. I might use my JX-10 as a backup however, in case the AX-60 decides to go out of tune.
General Comments
If it were lost or stolen, I'd track down the thief and kill him! I also own a Roland JX-10, a Casio CT-670, and an Alesis SR-16, and the AX-60 manages to fit in with my setup. I had to get rid of my DX-7 for the AX-60, though. I'll definetly miss the DX-7, but I'm having so much fun with this synth, that I've pretty much forgotten about the DX. Overall, the AX-60 is a very underrated synth that doesn't go for much. Get one if you can, as they were only released in the U.S. and as a result, they are very rare!