Akai AX-60
Submitted: April 10th, 2007
by steven dorn
I give this an 9 for sound rating, only for one reason. The filter, if used improperly, can be VERY harsh. Honestly, though, with the proper control of it I was quickly surprized at how GREAT it sounds, although I completely understand peoples perspective as to this matter. ALTHOUGH. I had this thing running in a tb303 style sequence and with it's resonance set at about 20% and with tweaking the ADSRD I can get damn good 303 style bass out of it. With unison running, thing sounds aggressive as a chainsaw. I own several keyboards, incl. a polysix, and honestly I am kind of leaning toward this thing sound wise, and not just for the flexibility (which is obviously in every facet more capable) but even with tone.
Well mine is fairly new to me, but granted that it's about 20 years old now I take it's got a good lifespan in it.
General Comments
Massively underated. I hate purists who find comfort in their 303/juno/prodigy/poly sounds. Get one, be careful with that resonance, and you should find that these things are quite the gem.