Aguilar OBP-1 Onboard Bass Preamp
Submitted: July 8th, 2003
by Jeff Addicott
The sound is SUPERB! Clean, tight, strong... Big wolly bass with really organic, glass-like treble. Sounds musical at almost every setting. The 18 volt power supply seems to really make a difference: no noise, tons of headroom.
Never had any problems (depends on the soldering skills of the tech who installs it). I did have an incident where my bass was plugged into a device that had phantom power via the 1/4" jack without my knowing. It made the preamp put out tons of static & sound real horrible so I switched it out. Later I realized what had happened, and was amazed that the incident didn't cause any damage. The preamp still works 100% (as long as it's not being fed 48 volts from the wrong polarity from a crappy external power source!!).
General Comments
This is a great preamp. It's a bit bulky, and the 2 batteries can be a hassle. But if you've got the space, and you want something simple that sounds fantastic, this onboard pre is for you. Apparently this is the same crew that designed the much-celebrated Sadowsky preamp, some years ago. It sounds similar, but IMHO the newer Aguilar design with the 18 volts is stronger, tighter, generally more devastating & pure.