Agile HE30B
Submitted: May 21st, 2003
by Jimmy The Moon
The sound of this bass is very impressive right out of the box although a little quiet unplugged it'll compete with an acoustic guitar. Plugged in the bass is even more impressive. The EQ is very versitile form a low rumble to a phone like sound and everything in between. I personally cut the mid ant treble and give the bass a boost. The sheer volume of the pickup blew me away, way louder than any electric I've ever played. I run it thru twin Berhinger KX1200 keyboard amps, somtimes I use a Danelectro auto-wah for fun. I ripped off the stock strings and put on a nice set of LaBella nylon-steel cores and it sounds pretty close to an upright only a little darker. The LaBella's reduce string noise too (almost no string noise at all.) All in all it's a unique sound that works really well for my acoustic band. In fact it's won my favor over my Kent Armstrong Split-Tube powered jazz bass.
This Bass will and has withstood live playing and it seems like it will last for a long time. the finish is pretty thick and the hardware looks to be of par quality. I haven't had any problems with the strap button and I only have had the neck adjusted once in 4 months. Playing a gig with no backup is just stupid and I wouldent do it with ANY bass. Bottom line - The bass will withstand any gig with proper care.
General Comments
I've been playing for about 4 years and this is the nicest bass I own. I've had a 70's Cort, a Dano p-bass, and 2 jazz basses. I would recommend this bass to anyone who doesent have at least $1000 to spend on an acoustic. As I said earlier, I was really disapointed in the Ibanez acoustics I tried at twice the price. I only have one piece of advice, Buy the case with it too they are hard to find. Peace people, T.C.