Access Music Virus
Submitted: May 25th, 2006
by Urban pHox
The sounds are neither realistic or analogue sounding - the problem seems to be the filters, there's lots of choice and settings but the resonance at high levels just makes it sound very thin and not self-oscillating (like in a real analogue instrument) and has that awful digital filter sound quality to it. The envelope, although others have said is fast I disagree. The kind of music I write has very fast note pulses (fast attack and release) at high tempos and it just doesn't seem to like it. The effects on board are delay and chorus. The delay is quite nice, although you can't set seperate left/right delay times. I tend to use velocity to control certain features - although the virus cannot route this to cutoff (which I usually use) it can control the filter envelope (per filter) and also a host of other things simultaniously (including amplitude if you were so inclined =) )
The unit itself has a very robust construction, the buttons have a nice solid clunky feel to them too.
General Comments
If it were lost or stolen? Hmmm - I'd probably not go and get another, sure it's fine - it does quite a few 'virtual analogue' sounds. If you needed a workhorse to fill a few slots in your studio (pad sounds, the odd lead, etc.) but can't afford the old, unreliable analogue stuff then it's probably a good synth but even my 202 kicks it's rear in terms of bass, filters, envelope, controls, etc.