Access Music Virus kc
Submitted: March 28th, 2004
by Anonymous Reviewer
Its the most satisfying VA synth I own. I use it for leads, pads and fx. Its a superb sounding dance/ambient synth. However, I would really love to see Access design a true analog polysynth (for us musicians who have money). The Andromeda A6 compliments the JP-8 and Prophet 5 very nicely. They are all equals in my mind. THe VIrus KC (In terms of sound) is not quite up there....but wins on sheer versatility. For all of you who think the Virus sounds great, I salut you!
The only true negative comment I have about this synth is its goddamn reliability....or lack of. By todays standards, the build quality is excellant (physical construction).....but there seems to be a bit of an issue with some of the components (i.e. LED's, circuit board, memory). Obviously cheap, mass produced digital components probably dont undergo the level of testing that analog components do...but it would be nice if a 1400 synth could be free from these little niggles. There is nothing majorly wrong with this synth.....but it is possible that you will experience some kind of issue (whether it be software related or hardware). I cant put it into context with other new synths..... Do not let that put you off though. Ive had 5 replacements of the Virus KC....and I still love it. There is no other synth that sounds like it. It has a similar strength of character to that of the JP8 and P5. The Virus tone is equally recognisable. Ive decided to not score this category....b'cos I Really dont know what to put. I'd say around 8.
General Comments
Well, I believe the hype is justly deserved. It is a feature packed, sexy looking, well built, superb sounding VA synth. In my opinion it is the most analogue sounding digital synth out there. If you cant afford a true analogue/dont want to take the risk investing in something 20 yrs old....then the Virus is hands down...the 2nd best option. To me, the likes of Andromeda A6, JP-8 and P5 sounds 'better' but for sensible money, the Virus has more bang for buck.