Access Music Virus kb
Submitted: March 19th, 2005
by Anonymous Reviewer
The sounds are very fat and warm but the attacks can be set to be very fast and sharp so it makes a good thick sound. The filters can be arranged in a variety of ways that gives the sound a lot of animation although some of the more advanced modulation routing parameters are hidden inside the small LCD menu. It's perfect for dance/techno/hip-hop/electro genres but I use it as a texture within my more traditional pop arrangements quite well. My setup includes some sampler and FM sounds and this synth balances them quite nicely. I sold my Nord Rack 2 because the sound was too static and hard for my tastes and the Virus kb is much better in this category and much easier to blend with other synths.
It's never had a problem once in three years.
General Comments
If I lost it I would probably buy the newer Virus models out there to replace it. I bought it at the peak of its popularity which means I probably overpaid a little for it. I've been playing for 20 years and I own gear from E-mu, Roland and Yamaha in addition to software synths / samplers from MOTU and Native Instruments. I love the way the keyboard feels and the way the sounds respond to my playing. I don't like the more techno patches that came with it since they are more limited in use. I wish more of the filter parameters were available on the front panel, but otherwise that's it! It is my main keyboard and one of my primary synthesizers so it plays a part in almost every song I write.