Access Music Virus Indigo
Submitted: August 13th, 2002
by Anonymous-CHANp
Man, oh, man. This box sounds dope. This is no pathetic fucking rompler, but a synth capable of some gorgeous drones, static hits, and other industrial-chic mayhem. The filters are powerful and the effects rock. The sound quality is top notch all around, (ironically enough) bit reducer included. There's a whole section for velocity implementation but I haven't used it yet... no aftertouch, but who really cares? I don't play Chopin pieces. The Indigo is pretty flexible: SH-101 bass lines, warm, digital soundscapes (I fucking love saying that), evolving pads, leads, harsh, whatever. Of course, it's not as flexible as a Waldorf Q (additional wavetables) but hey.
I could depend on this tank. Solid build all around: all metal chassis, nice knobs, great pitch and mod wheels, etc. It's very heavy for a synth of it's small size, but that's because it's built so damn well. I would no doubt use one without a backup.
General Comments
I have a fairly sparse but powerful set-up, with the Indigo at the heart next to my laptop... another synth, E-mu ESI sampler, FireworX, some pedals, Electrix Warp Factory, rack delay, etc. Surprise, surprise, I create industrial/experimental/noise/whatever. This synth is great for it. My main competition for the Indigo was a Waldorf Microwave XT. I was looking for a self-contained keyboard and a synth, and a compact one. I had an XT in the past and really liked it... but I just fell in love with the sexy Indigo (looks and sounds alike). It sounded more aggressive and in-your-face than the XT, whose mostly shitty presets really put me off. This synth is probably geared more for dancy stuff like trance but, again, it's flexible so it's in the hands of the programmer. The Nord Lead 3 was very nice, but it was/is much more expensive and less flexible (i.e. no effects)... and Novation really does nothing for me so besides the XTk, I didn't see any competition with the Indigo. The Q is gorgeous but way too much loot. The Micro Qkb could've been an option but, well, I liked the Indigo so whatever. I'd love a Q+ rack or something in the future because I enjoy the Q sound... but this gem is getting to be my signature sound. Still, this synth is pretty pricy but I feel it's very worth it. A three-band eq would've been nice... I really don't have much to complain about besides the semi-limited arp. If anything happened to my baby, I'd probably spring for the Indigo 2, now that it's cheaper. Either way, it's an Indigo. This enthusiasm is coming from a diehard digital aficionado. Backwards from the norm? Yeah, I shirked anything analog, but this box opened my mind to what something with the word "analog" in it can do. :)